Fayetteville in Cumberland County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
This tablet marks the site of an important arsenal of the Confederate government. Authorized by the United States Congress, 1836; captured by North Carolina, April 22, 1861; transferred to the Confederate government, June 5, 1861; and destroyed by Major-General W.T. Sherman, March 11-14, 1865.
and the North Carolina Arsenal
The Laying of the Cornerstone
19 April 1838
Antebellum Guard Duty
Seized and Occupied for the Confederate Government
22 April - 6 May 1861
Unveiling of Arsenal Marker
22 May 1928
FILI Bicentennial 1793-1993
Erected 1928 by The North Carolina Historical Commission and the J.E.B. Stuart Chapter, United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 35° 3.263′ N, 78° 53.548′ W. Marker is in Fayetteville, North Carolina, in Cumberland County. Marker Touch for map. Marker is near the east wall of the Museum of the Cape Fear. Marker is at or near this postal address: 801 Arsenal Avenue, Fayetteville NC 28305, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1897 Poe House (a few steps from this marker); Arsenal Stones (within shouting distance of this marker); Arsenal Park (within shouting distance of this marker); North Carolina Arsenal (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); U.S. Arsenal (about 500 feet away); Forging and Casting [and] Smith's Shops (1839 - 1842) (about 600 feet away); The "Ghost" Tower (about 600 feet away); Engine House (1838 - 1848) (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fayetteville.
Also see . . . Fayetteville Arsenal. (Submitted on November 10, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Military • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 10, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 860 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 10, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.