Niagara on the Lake in Niagara Region, Ontario — Central Canada
Niagara on the Lake Historical District
In 1778, Loyalist refugees began crossing from Fort Niagara to settle the west bank of the Niagara River. A town was laid out in a grid pattern of four-acre blocks and grew quickly, gaining prominence as the first capital of Upper Canada from 1792 to 1796. Following Niagara’s destruction during the war of 1812, the citizens rebuilt, mainly in the British Classical architectural tradition, creating a group of structures closely related in design, materials, and scale. Spared from redevelopment, the town’s colonial buildings eventually became one of its greatest resources. Beginning in the 1950s, residents rehabilitated and restored the old structures, demonstrating an exceptional commitment to the preservation of local heritage and making a significant contribution to the conservation movement in Canada. This collection of residential, commercial, ecclesiastical and institutional buildings, many on their original sites close to the street, is the best-preserved in Canada build between 1815 and 1859. With its early buildings and grid street plan, this historic district recalls the era when Niagara-on-the-Lake was a prominent,
(Right side is in French)
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Location. 43° 15.305′ N, 79° 4.303′ W. Marker is in Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, in Niagara Region. Marker is on Queen Street. Touch for map. The plaque is located on the court on Queen street near the King Street intersection. There are various other plaques on this same building, but someone decided to plant a tree in front of one of them. (see pictures). Marker is at or near this postal address: 26 Queen St., Niagara on the Lake, Ontario L0S 1J0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Kirby (a few steps from this marker); Niagara Apothecary (within shouting distance of this marker); Niagara Land Purchases (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Memorial Hall, 1906 (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Janet Carnochan 1839 - 1926 (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Canada Constellation (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); St. Vincent de Paul Church, 1835 (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Butler's Rangers (approx. half a kilometer away).
Categories. • Government • Landmarks • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 15, 2009, by Lora Szloh of Berea, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,229 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 15, 2009, by Lora Szloh of Berea, Ohio. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.