Summerton in Clarendon County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 2001 by The Town of Summerton. (Marker Number 14-15.)
Location. 33° 36.542′ N, 80° 21.08′ W. Marker is in Summerton, South Carolina, in Clarendon County. Marker is on North Cantey Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located between Main Street (US 301) and Ridgeway Street. Marker is in this post office area: Summerton SC 29148, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wagon Travel (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Patriot Departs to Ride with Marion (about 500 feet away); Elusive Francis Marion, 1780-1781 (about 600 feet away); Siege of Fort Watson (about 600 feet away); The Patriot and the Redcoat (about 700 feet away); Summerton Presbyterian Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Anne Custis Burgess (approx. 0.4 miles away); "Together Let Us Sweetly Live" (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Summerton.
Regarding Senn's Mill. Senn’s Grist Mill, Blacksmith Shop, and Orange Crush Bottling Plant is a small commercial complex comprised by three interconnected early twentieth-century buildings of similar size and construction that retains its historical appearance and character. Commercial activity at 3 Cantey Street began about 1903, when John G. Senn opened Senn’s Blacksmith Shop for business. Senn’s Grist Mill, Blacksmith Shop, and Orange Crush Bottling Plant played a role in the commercial development of Summerton, South Carolina, during the early twentieth century. The grist mill, ca. 1905, the most significant enterprise at the site, recently closed its doors after nearly a century of continuous operation. It is an outstanding example of the small independent grist mills that were commonplace in rural communities across the South in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 19, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 869 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 19, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.