Katonah in Westchester County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Brick Lot
John Jay Homestead
When John Jay began planning his Westchester farm in the 1790s, he was fortunate to find a source of clay on his property which he used to make the brick for constructing a home and various farm buildings. Archeological testing has identified the manufacturing site where the bricks were formed, dried, stacked, and baked in kilns. During testing, the site of a temporary camp for Native Americans, which existed well before the arrival of European settlers, was located.
Thousands of bricks, created in the southern end of this field between 1787 and 1801, were used to construct John Jayís farm buildings and residence.
Erected by Friends of the Jay Homestead. (Marker Number 4.)
Location. 41° 15.08′ N, 73° 39.521′ W. Marker is in Katonah, New York, in Westchester County. Marker can be reached from Jay Street (New York State Route 22) 0.1 miles south of Beaver Dam Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Located on the grounds of the John Jay Homestead. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 Route 22, Katonah NY 10536, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Farm Managerís Cottage (within shouting distance of this marker); The Organization of the Farm Bedford House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Sundial and Fountain Gardens (within shouting distance of this marker); The John Jay Potting Sheds (within shouting distance of this marker); The Stable Courtyard (within shouting distance of this marker); The Barn Complex (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Welcome to John Jay Homestead (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Katonah.
Categories. • Agriculture • Native Americans • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 21, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 730 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 21, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.