Lebanon in Warren County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Village Ice Cream Parlor
The building at 22 S. Broadway sits on lot No. 99 of the 1802 plat of Lebanon. In 1854, Henry C. Meloy ran a grocery store here while his family lived on the 2nd floor. After his death in 1889, it was used as a saloon, a “French” dry cleaners, a dry goods store, two different bar and grills and, in 1908, the town's third movie theater, The Royal.
(continued on other side)
(continued from other side)
In 1968, to help “make Lebanon a greater town,” the stockholders of Greater Lebanon Inc. purchased the old Kings Grill located here. They opened The Village Ice Cream Parlor on July 4, 1969. In 1980 the Hartsock Family bought this very popular nostalgic eatery. Its old-fashioned soda fountain has drawn two Hollywood films to shoot here.
Erected by Lebanon Rotary Club.
Location. 39° 26.035′ N, 84° 12.491′ W. Marker is in Lebanon, Ohio, in Warren County. Marker is on Broadway (U.S. 42), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is about 150 feet north of City Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 22 S. Broadway, Lebanon OH 45036, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker The Town Square / City Hall Site (within shouting distance of this marker); LCNB Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Town Plat / The Tharp House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Christmas Tree Park (about 300 feet away); Lebanon Library / Harmon Hall (about 400 feet away); I.O.O.F. Temple (about 500 feet away); Ferguson House (about 700 feet away); The Lewis House (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lebanon.
Also see . . . History of The Village Ice Cream Parlor. (Submitted on November 24, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Entertainment • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 24, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 734 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 24, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.