Bartlett in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Bartlett Colored School
When the Bartlett public school built a brick schoolhouse in 1909, the school district moved its existing six-room frame classroom building to this site to become the first local school for African American students. When the six-room schoolhouse burned in 1919, Dave Johnson was given the contract to build a new one-story, four-room structure using recycled lumber. Decades later, in 1945, half of a building from the Goodeville school district was moved to the site to serve as a shop and vocational agriculture building.
The Bartlett Colored School, unaccredited at that time, only went through the tenth grade; few students from area rural populations could get to the schoolhouse, and fewer still made the trip to Temple or Austin to complete their education and graduate. Parents and teachers, united through a parent teacher association formed in 1933, continued improvements and attracted a dedicated couple form Prairie View A&M to move to Bartlett in 1946. Gentry “Prof” Powell, Sr. (1909-1976), and his wife acted as principals, teachers and coaches. They brought in students from the area with a school bus and driver granted by the school district at the start of the 1946-47 school year. By summer 1947, attendance had doubled to more than 160, and the school became an accredited 12-grade system. With a strong curriculum and new sports programs, the Bartlett school grew, moving in 1949 to the north side of the city, on Cryer Drive.
Erected 2003 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12971.)
Location. 30° 47.45′ N, 97° 26.339′ W. Marker is in Bartlett, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on Arnold Drive west of Cotrell Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bartlett TX 76511, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mount Arie (Mount Ararat) Missionary Baptist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); First United Methodist Church of Bartlett (approx. half a mile away); First Presbyterian Church of Bartlett (approx. half a mile away); Bartlett Grammar School (approx. 0.7 miles away); Woman's Wednesday Club (approx. 0.7 miles away); City of Bartlett (approx. 0.7 miles away); First Baptist Church of Bartlett (approx. 0.7 miles away); First National Bank of Bartlett (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bartlett.
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 29, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 680 times since then and 30 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on November 29, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area picture of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?