Reading in Berks County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Ringgold Light Artillery
the patriotism and promptitude
Ringgold Light Artillery
of Reading, Pennsylvania,
which reported for duty at
Harrisburg, April 16, 1861,
arriving there first of the
and with the
Logan Guards of Lewistown,
Washington Artillerists of Pottsville
National Light Infantry of
Pottsville, and Allen Infantry
entered the City of Washington
April 18, 1861,
the first defenders of the Capital,
this monument was erected by the
Citizens of Reading,
July 4, 1901.
Roster of the Ringgold Light Artillery
Henry Nagle • William Graeff
George W. Durell • Henry S. Rush
Daniel Kreisher • Jeremiah Seiders
Levi J. Homan • Jacob Womert
F.W. Folkman • Horatio Leader
John A. Hook • George B. Eckert
Erected 1901 by Citizens of Reading.
Location. 40° 20.079′ N, 75° 54.898′ W. Marker is in Reading, Pennsylvania, in Berks County. Marker is on Perkiomen Avenue (U.S. 422), on the left when traveling east. Memorial is along the southwest boundary of City Park, about 300 feet SE of the intersection of Perkiomen Avenue and Penn Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Reading PA 19602, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Penn's Common (within shouting distance of this marker); William McKinley (within shouting distance of this marker); Volunteer Firemen (within shouting distance of this marker); Duryea Drive (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bethel A.M.E. Church (approx. ¼ mile away); The Pagoda (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Duryea Drive (approx. half a mile away); Skyline Boulevard (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Reading.
Also see . . .
1. City Park Master Plan. (Submitted on December 7, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Hiester's 1904 Book on the Ringgold Light Artillery. (Submitted on December 8, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. The First Defenders. The Ringgold Artillery was among the first units to respond to the call for volunteers at the beginning of the Civil War. (Submitted on December 14, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
1. Type of artillery
Many of the men of the Ringgold Light Artillery later joined Durell's Battery, Independent Battery D, Pennsylvania Volunteer Artillery. As Ringgold Artillery the battery was armed with 6-pdr field guns. As Durell's Battery it was equipped originally with 10-pdr Parrott rifles, and later in the war 3" Parrott rifles. The artillery piece at the monument is not a Parrott rifle but a 3" Ordnance rifle. The "PIC" on the muzzle stands for Phoenix Iron Company and was manufactured at Phoenixville PA.
— Submitted January 26, 2010, by Jacques Arthur Reed of Langwarrin Vic, Australia.
Categories. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Government • Heroes • Military • Notable Events • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Ringgold Light Artillery.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 7, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 2,184 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on December 8, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.