Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Austin High School
John T. Allan Campus
Under the supervision of principal James E. Pearce. 1895-1918 and superintendent A.N. McCallum, 1903-42, Austin High School developed a quality academic program. Renovations included the John T. Allan manual training center and one of the earliest domestic arts (home economics) departments in the nation.
The buildings here could no longer accommodate the growing Austin High School by 1925 and plans were made to utilize the larger junior high campus at the corner of 12th and Rio Grande. The switch was made during the Thanksgivings Holidays of that year and "Old Red" became the John T. Allan Junior High School. Classes were held at this site until 1956, when the complex was destroyed by fire.
Erected 1981 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15360.)
Location. 30° 16.217′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 901 Trinity St, Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. German Free School (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Saint Maryís Cathedral (about 600 feet away); Site of Tenth Street Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); Central Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint Davidís Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); General Land Office Building of 1856-57 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Texas Highway Department (approx. 0.2 miles away); M.M. Longís Livery Stable and Opera House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 5, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 23, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 762 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 23, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.