Roscoe in Coshocton County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Village Smithy - c.1890
Roscoe has a long history with blacksmithing, but not always at this location. Originally consisting of a two-story center section with a one-story south wing, our smithy was constructed c.1890 as a stable. In 1905, the original south wing was demolished and a new one built by 1912. C.1925 the building was home to an automobile garage. The north wing was added by 1930. A local blacksmith, Cleon “Tinker” Dobson had his shop in this building from 1932 to his retirement in the early 1970s. The building was renovated by Roscoe Village Foundation in 1978.
Erected by Roscoe Village Foundation.
Location. 40° 16.815′ N, 81° 52.556′ W. Marker is in Roscoe, Ohio, in Coshocton County. Marker is on Whitewoman Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is about 400 feet north of the intersection of Whitewoman Street and Hill Street. Marker is in this post office area: Coshocton OH 43812, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hay Craft and Learning Center - 1987 (a few steps from this marker); Daniel Carroll House - c.1850 George LeRetilley House - 1853 (within shouting distance of this marker); Jacob Welsh House - c.1840 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Warehouse (about 300 feet away); Underground Railroad Agents in Coshocton County / Muskingum River Underground Railroad Corridor (about 400 feet away); Visitor Center - 1992 (about 500 feet away); William Roscoe Building - 1840 (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Roscoe.
Also see . . . Roscoe Village Foundation. (Submitted on January 13, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Additional keywords. Ohio and Erie Canal
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 13, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 686 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 13, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.