Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Saint Mary’s Cathedral
In 1874, at the invitation of Bishop Claude M. Dubuis, the Holy Cross priests, brothers, and sisters from Notre Dame, Indiana, came to Austin to establish a school (now Saint Edward’s University), and to serve at Saint Mary’s – as they have now (1977) done for over a century. Upon their arrival, the present church, designed by architect Nicholas J. Clayton of Galveston, was built of native limestone. It was dedicated in 1884. The 2000-pound bell first tolled from the tower on July 4, 1886. The stained glass windows from Germany and France were added in the 1890s. Saint Mary’s was designated the cathedral for the newly-established Diocese of Austin in 1947.
Erected 1977 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14676.)
Location. 30° 16.279′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 203 E 10th St, Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Tenth Street Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Texas Highway Department (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); General Land Office Building of 1856-57 (about 500 feet away); M.M. Long’s Livery Stable and Opera House (about 600 feet away); Old Bakery (about 600 feet away); Austin High School (about 600 feet away); The Texas Capitol (about 600 feet away); Confederate Texas Legislatures (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Also see . . . Saint Mary Cathedral. (Submitted on January 16, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 6, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 16, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 636 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 16, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.