Richwood in Union County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Richwood Opera House and Town Hall
The Richwood Opera House and Town Hall was erected in 1890 as a community center designed to house the town council chambers, fire department, jail and opera house. The Richardsonian Romanesque styled building served Richwood in all these capacities for nearly 75 years. The Opera House was the site of minstrel shows, concerts, movies, lecture courses, revivals, farmers' institutes, commencements, and community meetings. The second floor gymnasium was used for a men's independent basketball league, dance classes, and as a teen center after World War II. Construction of an interurban railway running between Richwood and the resort town of Magnetic Springs in 1906 provided an expanded audience for the Opera House.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
The Richwood Symphony Orchestra made its home here in the 1920s - 1940s. The Opera House later became the Union Theatre, which closed in the 1960s, and the space was used to meet the growing needs of the municipal government. The fire department was housed here until 2001 when a new station was built. The Richwood Opera
Erected 2003 by Village of Richwood, Richwood Business Association, Union County Historical Society, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 3-80.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 25.526′ N, 83° 17.767′ W. Marker is in Richwood, Ohio, in Union County. Marker is at the intersection of Franklin Street (Ohio Route 37) and Bomford Street40.42543,-83.296122, on the left when traveling south on Franklin Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 S Franklin Street, Richwood OH 43344, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. North Union District Veterans' Memorial Monument (approx. 0.6 miles away); Bethlehem Claibourne Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away); Cheney Cemetery Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.7 miles away); Greenville Treaty Boundary Line Magnetic Springs (approx. 5.6 miles away); Prospect State Route 47 Bridge (approx. 5.8 miles away); Prospect War Memorial (approx. 5.9 miles away); Radnor Cemetery Lych Gate (approx. 8.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richwood.
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Entertainment • Government • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Political Subdivisions • Sports •
More. Search the internet for Richwood Opera House and Town Hall.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 29, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,307 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 29, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.