Fairfield in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Thomas Sherwood Memorial
1586 – 1655
Puritan – Pioneer – Ancestor
A founder of New England
A first settler of Fairfield
Deputy to the General Court
Soldier of the Pequot War
and his wives
Alice Seabrooke 1587 – 1639
Mary Fitch 1619 – 1693
Erected 1950 by Sherwood Kindred of America.
Location. 41° 8.465′ N, 73° 14.827′ W. Marker is in Fairfield, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Beach Road and Sunnieholm Drive, on the left when traveling west. Located in the Old Burying Ground. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fairfield CT 06824, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Reverend John Jones Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Andrew Ward Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Fairfield Revolutionary War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Up This Road Nathan Bulkley House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Moorlands (about 600 feet away); Isaac Tucker House (about 600 feet away); Fairfield (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fairfield.
Regarding Thomas Sherwood Memorial. Thomas Sherwood, the patriarch of the Fairfield Sherwoods, was apparently born in 1586 in Ipswich (Suffolk) England. In 1634 he sailed from Ipswich on the ship Francis. After some time in Wethersfield CT, he arrived in Fairfield in about 1648. He was a carpenter and a miller, and a community leader. His son Thomas Jr., who also arrived on the Francis, was the first miller at the gristmill at Mill River, Southport.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Government & Politics • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, Non-US •
More. Search the internet for Thomas Sherwood Memorial.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 8, 2019. This page originally submitted on February 4, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,815 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 4, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.