Talbotton in Talbot County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Session Supreme Court of Georgia
At the Court's first session James M. Kelly of Perry was elected Reporter and Robert E. Martin of Milledgeville, Clerk. Martin was sworn in.
Fifteen attorneys were admitted to the Supreme Court during the term held at Talbotton in January 1846. The first lawyers in Georgia to qualify to practice before Georgia’s highest court were: Alfred Iverson, Hines Holt, James Johnson, Marcus Johnston and Adam G. Foster of Columbus; Barnard Hill, Allen F. Owen, Edmund H. Worrill, William F. Brooks, Anthony G. Perryman, Levi B. Smith, Stephen D. Heard, Marion Bethune, and J.L. Stephenson of Talbotton; and Amos W. Hammond of Culloden.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 130-1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 40.617′ N, 84° Touch for map. The marker stands at the southeast corner of the Talbot County Courthouse square. Marker is in this post office area: Talbotton GA 31827, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Talbot County (within shouting distance of this marker); Straus Home Site (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Straus Home Site (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Straus Home Site (about 600 feet away); Zion Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away); William Bartram Trail (about 800 feet away); Talbotton United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); George Washington Towns (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Talbotton.
Additional keywords. Law, Legal
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Government •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 11, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 849 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on February 11, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on January 19, 2011, by Michael Dover of Ellerslie, Georgia. 3. submitted on February 11, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 4. submitted on January 19, 2011, by Michael Dover of Ellerslie, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.