Blissfield in Lenawee County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Erie and Kalamazoo Rail Road / Rail Road
The first railway in the Northwest Territory, the Erie and Kalamazoo Rail Road linked the east coast with the Michigan Territory and points westward. The E&K was chartered on April 22, 1833, to connect present-day Toledo, Ohio, with the Kalamazoo River; however, the track never reached beyond Adrian. The first train arrived in Adrian on October 1, 1836. In 1837 the E&K contracted for the transport of "the Great Western Mail." From 1852 to 1857 the line, then part of the Michigan Southern Railroad, was a link in an early rail route from the east coast to Chicago. As part of the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern, the New York Central, the Penn Central, and the Conrail systems, the E&K carried passengers until November 1956.
[Reverse side of Marker]:Rail Road
Blissfield was once a stop on the Erie and Kalamazoo Rail Road, the first passenger railway in the Northwest Territory. On October 1, 1836, the first train, a horse-drawn, wooden car running on iron strips spiked to oak rails, left Toledo and traveled the thirty-three miles to Adrian.
Erected 2001 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number 1146B.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Erie & Kalamazoo Railroad, and the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 41° 50.181′ N, 83° 52.262′ W. Marker is in Blissfield, Michigan, in Lenawee County. Marker is on Beagle Road east of North Main Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. This historical marker is located on the south side of the railroad tracks that run along the south side of Beagle Road, in the back yard of a local resident. Marker is at or near this postal address: 460 Beagle Road, Blissfield MI 49228, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Erie & Kalamazoo Railroad (within shouting distance of this marker); Palmyra Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.8 miles away); Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad The Old Territorial Road (approx. 8˝ miles away in Ohio); Roger T. Durbin (approx. 8.6 miles away in Ohio); Lenawee County Fairgrounds (approx. 8.7 miles away); St. Joseph's Catholic Church (approx. 9.1 miles away); St. John's Lutheran Church (approx. 9.2 miles away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 21, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,047 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 21, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.