Sumter in Sumter County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Military Post / Potter's Raid
After the Civil War ended in 1865, a Federal military occupation garrison was located for sometime in this area of Sumter. Known locally as "Yankee Camp," the post contained officers' quarters, barracks, and a guard house. Here sentinels could be seen guarding their posts while prisoners and soldiers performed various camp chores.
On April 9, 1865, the day that Robert E. Lee surrendered at Appomattox Court House, Federal troops under Gen. Edward E. Potter occupied Sumter. They destroyed railroad property (locomotives, cars, shops, store houses, the freight depot), burned cotton and the jail, ransacked businesses and looted homes. Potter, whose headquarters was at the present courthouse site on Main Street, left Sumter on April 11th.
Erected 2009 by The Sumter County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 43-25.)
Location. 33° 55.476′ N, 80° 20.8′ W. Marker is in Sumter, South Carolina, in Sumter County. Marker is on West Calhoun Street near Church Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sumter SC 29150, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance The Tuomey Hospital (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sumter Institute (approx. 0.2 miles away); Temple Sinai (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sumter District Confederate Dead (approx. ¼ mile away); Sumterville Academy (approx. ¼ mile away); Potter's Headquarters / Federal Order Of Battle (approx. 0.3 miles away); General Thomas Sumter 1734 -1832 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sumter's Court Houses (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sumter.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. More on Potter's Raid
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 22, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,548 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 23, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.