Scottsville in Sumter County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Salem (Black River) Presbyterian Church
This house of worship, commonly called Brick Church, was founded by Scotch-Irish settlers in 1759 on land given by Capt. David Anderson. Original log meeting-house was replaced by frame building and named Salem Presbyterian Church (1768). The first brick church was built in 1802 and used until 1846 when the present church was built of brick made on the grounds.
Old session house (1846) in the rear contains large library given by James McBride in 1862. Land for cemetery, dating from 1794, was deeded by Robert Witherspoon in 1830. Among the notable ministers to serve this church was Dr. Thomas Reese, scholar, teacher, and preacher before the Revolution. In 1867 Negro members withdrew to form Goodwill Presbyterian Church.
Erected 1950 by The Sumter County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 43-4.)
Location. 33° 55.958′ N, 80° 9.629′ W. Marker is in Scottsville, South Carolina, in Sumter County. Marker is on North Brick Church Road (State Highway 527), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located North of Neighborhood Road (State Road 43-800). Marker is in this post office area: Mayesville SC 29104, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Goodwill Presbyterian Church, U.S.A. (approx. 1½ miles away); " Ebenezer " (approx. 1½ miles away); Concord Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.9 miles away); Birthplace of Mary McLeod Bethune (approx. 4.4 miles away); The Mayesville Story (approx. 4.6 miles away); Beulah School (approx. 5½ miles away); St. Paul African American Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 5.7 miles away); Revolutionary Skirmish Near Tearcoat Branch (approx. 8.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Scottsville.
Regarding Salem (Black River) Presbyterian Church. (Brick Church) Salem Black River Presbyterian Church, built in 1846, is a well-preserved example of Greek Revival architecture. From the time of its organization in the mid-eighteenth century until the present, Salem Church has played an important role in the development of history of the surrounding rural community. The church has been virtually unaltered since its construction. It features massive stucco-over-brick columns, a gable roof and a pedimented portico. Basilican in plan, the interior of Salem Black River Church is simple. A slave gallery extends along three sides and is supported by square paneled wooden pillars. Listed in the National Register November 14, 1978. (South Carolina Department of Archives and History)
1. National Register of Historic Places:
Salem Black River Presbyterian Church ** (added 1978 - Building - #78003091) •
Also known as Brick Church •
Architect, builder, or engineer: Unknown •
Architectural Style: Greek Revival •
Area of Significance: Religion, Architecture •
Period of Significance: 1825-1849 •
Owner: Private •
Historic Function: Religion •
Historic Sub-function: Religious Structure •
Current Function: Religion •
Current Sub-function: Religious Structure •
— Submitted January 13, 2011.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 13, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 23, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,994 times since then and 132 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on February 25, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 8, 9, 10. submitted on November 11, 2017, by David Taylor of Darlington, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.