Clarkesville in Habersham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Judge Bleckley was Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of Georgia 1875 -1880, and was Chief Justice 1887-1894. Occasionally the other members of the Court met with Judge Bleckley at this place for conferences on its work. Judge Bleckley was a unique figure in Georgia’s judicial history and was one of the most outstanding Chief Justices of the Supreme Court. He died at his residence here on March 7, 1907.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 068-9.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 36.75′ N, 83° 31.317′ W. Marker is in Clarkesville, Georgia, in Habersham County. Marker is on Jefferson Street 0.7 miles west of Rocky Branch Road, on the left when traveling Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 172 Jefferson Street, Clarkesville GA 30523, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Grace Protestant Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Habersham County (approx. 0.4 miles away); Clarkesville War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Living & Learning In The Mountains (approx. 1.9 miles away); Summer Home of Joseph Habersham (approx. 2 miles away); Habersham Iron Works & Mfg. Co. (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Unicoi Turnpike (approx. 3.1 miles away); Piedmont College (approx. 3½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clarkesville.
Also see . . .
1. Robert Tooms. The New Georgia Encyclopedia's biography. (Submitted on February 26, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
2. Judge Bleckley. New Georgia Encyclopedia biography. (Submitted on February 26, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Additional keywords. Law
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Government • Politics • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 24, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,169 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 24, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.