Rock Hill in York County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Home of Winthrop College
The South Carolina College for Women
Seminary, at Columbia, South Carolina,
was occupied by the Winthrop Training
School as a classroom for one year.
The Winthrop Training School was organ-
ized in 1886 by D.B. Johnson, superintend-
ent of the city schools of Columbia.
The Trustees of the Columbia City
Schools in 1886, who were also Trustees
of The Winthrop Training School, were
F.W. McMaster, chairman - John P. Thomas, Jr.
R.L. Bryan - Edward S. Joynes - Wm. H. Lyles
W.J. Duffie - W.C. Swaffield.
In 1936 on request of The Winthrop Col-
lege Alumnae Association, This building
was given to Winthrop College by the
Columbia Theological Seminary. In the
same year it was moved to this location.
Within, rest the remains of David Bancroft
Johnson, Founder of Winthrop College,
and President for Forty-two Years.
Smith, a native of Charleston, South
Carolina, on August 6,1902. They had
three children, David Bancroft
Johnson, Jr., Burgh Smith Johnson, and
Susanne Rutledge Johnson. Mrs. Johnson
was a 1900 graduate of Winthrop and was
employed at the school until 1969, After
was interred with her husband.
a stable and carriage house.
Used as the Chapel
while the Seminary was in Columbia
and listed such leaders as
Howe, Thornwell, Palmer, Girardeau,
Joseph Ruggles Wilson and
John Leighton Wilson.
The Book of Church Order of the
Southern Presbyterian Church
was prepared in this building by a
Committee with J.B. Adger, Chairman,
and James Woodrow, Secretary.
In student services held here under
the Leadership of Frank J. Brooke,
accepted and confessed Christ 1873.
Presented to Winthrop College by
The Board of Directors of
Columbia Theological Seminary,
Decatur, Georgia, on May 7 1936.
Location. 34° 56.401′ N, 81° 1.986′ W. Marker is in Rock Hill, South Carolina, in York County. Marker is on Jasper Dr.. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rock Hill SC 29731, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Columbia Seminary Chapel (approx. 0.2 miles away); President's House (approx. 0.3 miles away); McCorkle-Fewell-Long House / Oakland (approx. 0.4 miles Rock Hill Printing and Finishing Company / Rock Hill Buggy Company and Anderson Motor Company (approx. 0.7 miles away); James Milton Cherry House (approx. ¾ mile away); Rock Hill Buggy Company / Anderson Motor Company (approx. ¾ mile away); Jefferson Davis' Flight (approx. 0.8 miles away); Rock Hill Cotton Factory (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rock Hill.
More about this marker. Memorial Chapel is located in the Winthrop College Historic District.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Original Site, Winthrop College in Columbia
Also see . . .
1. Winthrop University. Official website of Winthrop University. (Submitted on January 17, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Wikipedia entry for Winthrop University. Winthrop University (formerly Winthrop College) is an American public, four-year liberal arts college in Rock Hill, South Carolina, United States. (Submitted on January 17, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Winthrop College Historic District. The Winthrop College Historic District includes twenty properties of historical and architectural merit that were constructed between 1894 and 1943 and that reflect the growth and development of the college as an innovator in education in South Carolina. (Submitted on January 17, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Memorial Chapel (originally Columbia Presbyterian Chapel)
Constructed ca. 1823 in Columbia; taken apart, moved to Winthrop College, and reconstructed in 1936. (Source: National Register nomination form.)
— Submitted January 18, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Education • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 6, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 939 times since then and 41 times this year. Last updated on March 1, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on March 6, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.