Graham in Alamance County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Alamance County Confederate Memorial
"On Fame's Eternal Camping Ground, Their Silent Tents are Spread, and Glory Guards, with Solemn Round, the Bivouac of the Dead."
Faithful Unto Death, They are Crowned with Immortal Glory."
Erected 1914 by The Graham Chapter, United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 36° 4.178′ N, 79° 24.017′ W. Marker is in Graham, North Carolina, in Alamance County. Marker is on Court Square. Touch for map. Marker stands on the north side of the Alamance County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1, Court Square, Graham NC 27253, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Alamance County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Vestal Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Wrike Drug (within Graham's First Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); National Bank of Alamance (within shouting distance of this marker); The Harden House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Built to House the Alamance Gleaner (about 400 feet away); Originally a Wing of the Union Hotel (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Graham.
More about this marker. A Sesquicentennial Garden is located across the square and provides a beautiful spot to view the monument.
1. Description of Monument.
A Civil War infantryman, wearing a brimmed, floppy slouch hat and a butternut cloth uniform, stands at parade rest with his rifle and attached bayonet at his proper right. The butt rests at his feet. On his proper left he holds a bayonet scabbard. A blanket roll extends from the front proper right of his waist belt across his proper left shoulder to the rear proper right of his belt. At this point, a cartridge box is fastened to the belt. The sculpture rests upon a shaft mounted on a middle base with tiered upper and lower sections atop a stepped bottom. On the front of the shaft, crossed Confederate flags are depicted
The sculpture commemorates soldiers from Alamance County, North Carolina who served during the Civil War. The sculpture project was spearheaded by the Graham Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy and the Civic League of Burlington. Both organizations carried out fundraising campaigns, which included an allocating a percentage of street car fare collected on 6 Tuesdays and Fridays, with lady conductors hired those days. On January 5, 1914, the Alamance County Board of Commissioners appropriated $1,000 for the sculpture. The total cost of the sculpture was $2,100, plus an additional $305 for the mound enclosed by posts, chain and curbing. Beneath the mound, within a cement container, a time capsule was buried which contains a small Confederate flag. Originally the sculpture was to be placed in front of the main entrance to the courthouse, on the north side, next to the Town Scales.
From the Smithsonian American Art Museum
Additional keywords. Burlington, Mebane, Swepsonville, Snow Camp,
Categories. • Military • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 6, 2010, by Paul Jordan of Burlington, N. C., U. S. A.. This page has been viewed 1,882 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 6, 2010, by Paul Jordan of Burlington, N. C., U. S. A.. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on March 7, 2010, by Paul Jordan of Burlington, N. C., U. S. A.. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.