Hayward in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Hayward Public Library
Don Guillermo Castro, founder of the city, preserved the plaza for the enjoyment of the citizens, and in 1856 conveyed to them ownership of the land forever. This library, originally constructed on the plaza in 1951, and enlarged in 1958, was extensively remodeled, expanded, and rededicated to the people of the City of Hayward, June 7, 1981.
William G. Webster, Library Director
Angell, Lockwood & Associates, Architects
Paxton Construction Co., Contractor
Location. 37° 40.22′ N, 122° 4.981′ W. Marker is in Hayward, California, in Alameda County. Marker is on C Street near Mission Boulevard. Touch for map. The Plaza is bordered by C Street, Mission Boulevard, Watkins
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rancho San Lorenzo (within shouting distance of this marker); NSGW Hall - Eden Parlor No. 113 (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Palmtag Building (about 700 feet away); I.D.E.S. Council Hayward #14 (approx. ¼ mile away); Juan Bautista de Anza Expedition Campsite #98 (was approx. half a mile away but has been reported missing. ); The Meek Mansion (approx. 1.9 miles away); The McConaghy Estate (approx. 2.1 miles away); Site of First Public School in Castro Valley (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hayward.
More about this marker. Marker is mounted to the right of the entrance doors to the Hayward Public Library.
Regarding Hayward Public Library. The library is dedicated to César Chávez, noted farm worker activist.
Also see . . . Don Guillermo Castro. Don Castro was awarded a land grant by the Mexican Government which was known as Rancho San Lorenzo. The Hayward City Hall, site of his adobe, is located across Mission Boulevard (Submitted on March 18, 2010.)
Categories. • Education • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 16, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 18, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,099 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 18, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.