Zanesville in Muskingum County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Zanesville and Muskingum County Artwall
history of Zanesville and Muskingum County.
Historic images are surrounded by tiles
depicting foliage from the Ohio Buckeye tree.
The images are in order of their dates
beginning with the image to your right and
continuing around the wall.
To make a rubbing, hold or tape a piece of
medium or light weight paper over an image.
Use a firm pencil or crayon to draw back and
forth across the paper. This will transfer the
image to the paper. Diagonal strokes work
best. Please do not use pens or markers.
Please remove tape when you remove your paper.
To learn more about the history of Zanesville
and Muskingum County, look for resources
inside the library.
DeBorah Goletz, 1999 [who made the tiles]
The Delaware tribe lived here in the
late 1700's and named the
“Moos-kin-gung” (Muskingum) River.
It means Elk Eye River.
Colonel Ebenezer Zane, Jonathan Zane
John McIntire and Tomepomehala cut
“Zane's Trace” from Wheeling, WV, to
future site of Westbourne
Zanesville's first school house was
made from logs
Zanesville built a two story brick
courthouse to become Ohio's state
capital for two years triumphing over
Putnam's Stone Academy. Zanesville
had already secured the Muskingum
County seat in 1804 one year after
Ohio became a state.
Wooden flatboats floated with the
current carrying people, livestock
and goods to downstream markets as
far away as New Orleans. The first
Y Bridge was supported by one center
stone pier and wooden trestles.
[F.] Pottery was manufactured here as
early as 1808 but Zanesville became
best known for ceramic tiles in the
late 1800's and art pottery in the early
and mid 1900's.
The first steamship to visit Zanesville
on the Muskingum River was the
“Rufus Putnam.” The 2nd Y Bridge
replaced the first in 1819 and was
supported on stone piers.
The 3rd Y Bridge was a covered
designed by Catherinus Buckingham.
The National Road reached Zanesville
in 1831 and continued across the
bridge. The Ohio Canal, also completed
in 1831 passed under the Y Bridge.
Angry mobs from Zanesville disrupted
(Anti-Slavery) meetings of the
Muskingum County Abolition Society
held at the Stone Academy in Putnam.
The Zanesville men were originally
from Virginia, and sympathized with
Southern Pro-Slavery sentiments.
The Central Ohio Railroad Company
operated the 1st train to Zanesville in
1852. By the 1880's several train lines
joined them including the Bellaire,
Zanesville & Cincinatti [sic] narrow guage [sic]
train pictured. The BZ&C was nicknamed
“Bent, Zigzag & Crooked” due to it's
Many volunteers from Zanesville
joined the Northern army to fight the
Confederates in the Civil War. News of
the war was quickly transmitted over
telegraph wires (installed in 1847).
Zanesville's many factories were
producing iron, glass, beer and even
Factory). These goods were sent by
steamships to be sold in other cities.
Zane Grey was the great-grandson of
Colonel Ebenezer Zane. Born in
Zanesville, he became well known for
writing countless novels and short
stories about the American West.
This hydraulic tile press, patented in
Zanesville, enabled the American
Encaustic Tile Company of Zanesville
to be the first mass producer of
ceramic tile in the United States.
Zanesville's first streetcar (pulled by
horses) passes the new courthouse
which was built on the site of the
“Old 1809” courthouse.
The 4th Y Bridge, made of concrete
held tracks for the electric
streetcars (which began serving
Zanesville in 1890).
The John McIntire Library was built with
funds from Andrew Carnegie. Books
came from the Zanesville Athenaeum.
In 1904, Samuel Weller owned the first
(electric “Runabout”) car in Zanesville.
Zanesville's police patrol wagon also
served as an ambulance.
The Muskingum River flooded the 4th Y
Bridge and many streets in Zanesville.
Chris Brownfield bought Zanesville's
first (Wright-style) airplane. When he
couldn't get this airplane to fly, he
built another which he flew in 1915.
Zanesville sent volunteers to fight in
World War I and helped Muskingum
County raise over $6,689,512 from the
sale of Liberty Bonds to furnish
munitions for the war.
World War II
On Armistice Day 1942, the public
funded a World War II Honor Roll
Board surrounding the courthouse.
Over the next four years, it grew to
contain 7000 names of Muskingum
residents who served in the war.
Zanesville celebrated its 200th
birthday as a thriving, charitable
community, embracing its culture and
industry while remembering its proud
Erected 1999 by Muskingum County Library System, Rotary Club of Zanesville, and Friends of the Library.
Location. 39° 56.636′ N, 82° 0.351′ W. Touch for map. Marker is at the entrance to the John McIntire Branch of the Muskingum County Library System, and about 300 feet south of Exit 155 of Interstate 70. Marker is at or near this postal address: 220 N. 5th Street, Zanesville OH 43701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Karl Kappes (within shouting distance of this marker); Architect Cass Gilbert (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lodge of Amity No. 5 Free and Accepted Masons (approx. 0.2 miles away); Second Capital of Ohio (approx. ¼ mile away); World War II and Korean War Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Zanesville (approx. ¼ mile away); Three Muskingum County Courthouses (approx. ¼ mile away); Muskingum County Medal of Honor Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Zanesville.
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 21, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,321 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48. submitted on March 22, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.