Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bartlett in Bell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

City of Bartlett

 
 
City of Bartlett Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, July 5, 2007
1. City of Bartlett Marker
Inscription. Settlers began moving to this area in the 1830s, when Texas was a Republic, but the town of Bartlett was not established until the 1870s. The founders were J. Edward Pietzsch and Capt. John T. Bartlett, for whom the community was named. In 1882 the railroad was extended to Bartlett, making the city a major regional cotton center. Incorporated in 1890, the city is located on the Williamson-Bell County line which divides several homes and commercial buildings. Today Bartlett continues to serve as a trade center for the surrounding agricultural district.
 
Erected 1981 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 315.)
 
Location. 30° 47.755′ N, 97° 25.759′ W. Marker is in Bartlett, Texas, in Bell County. Marker is on W. Clark St., on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 140 W Clark St, Bartlett TX 76511, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Woman's Wednesday Club (a few steps from this marker); First Baptist Church of Bartlett (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bartlett Grammar School (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Bartlett (approx. 0.2 miles away); First National Bank of Bartlett (approx. mile away); Site of Booker T. Washington School (approx. 0.3 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Bartlett (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mount Arie (Mount Ararat) Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bartlett.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 23, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 778 times since then and 56 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on March 23, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement