Jasper in Walker County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
First United Methodist Church Jasper/President Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Attends Funeral of William Brockman Bankhead
—Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives —
Methodism came to Jasper with the city's founder, Dr. Edward Gordon Musgrove, who donated land for the courthouse and for most of downtown Jasper. In 1826, he and others constructed a building of large hewn logs that was used as both a Methodist church and a school. Around 1858, a two-story frame church building was constructed. Unsubstantiated local accounts state the church was burned to the ground in March of 1865 by General James H. Wilson's cavalry corps. Another frame building, shared with the Masons, was erected here in 1869. In 1888, it was replaced by a brick church with a steeple.
In 1915, when a new church was planned, Lycurgus B. Musgrove, grandson of Dr. Edward Musgrove, provided the funds for the white marble exterior and donated the stained glass dome in memory of his mother, Elizabeth Cain Musgrove. First United Methodist Church Jasper was dedicated, debt-free, in 1927. With distinguishing features such as white marble from Georgia, mahogany wood interior, stained glass windows and an art glass interior dome, the church is among Alabama's most outstanding examples of beaux arts neoclassical architecture. The church was listed to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage in 1983 and to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.
On Tuesday, September 17, 1940,
Of the estimated 40,000 people who attended Bankhead's funeral were many Alabama notables, U.S. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt and member of his Cabinet, and State and Congressional Representatives and Senators, including Harry S. Truman, who later served as U.S. President. They arrived in Jasper by special train from Washington D.C. A wooden ramp was built at the church so that the official car transporting the President could drive up to the main door. Today, a brass plaque marks the pew occupied by President Roosevelt during the funeral service.
Erected by Alabama Historical Commission.
Location. 33° 50.007′ N, 87° 16.669′ W. Marker is in Jasper, Alabama, in Walker County. Marker is on Third Avenue. Touch for map. Located on side of First United Methodist Church facing. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1800 Third Avenue, Jasper AL 35501, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker Walker County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Walker County War Memorial (about 400 feet away); Confederate Monument (about 500 feet away); William Brockman Bankhead Home (approx. 0.7 miles away); Memorial Park (approx. one mile away); City Of Cordova (approx. 7˝ miles away); Bethel School (approx. 14.2 miles away); Piney Ridge School (approx. 14˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jasper.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Patriots & Patriotism • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 22, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 1,831 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 22, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.