Gloucester Point in Gloucester County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Virginia's First Shots in the Civil War
In an opening action of the Civil war, the first shots in Virginia were fired on May 3, 1861 when the USS Yankee sailed upriver and fired on Confederates here at Gloucester Point.
The Richmond Howitzers stationed on the Point returned fire and the Yankee withdrew to the river's mouth. Within a year, Union forces took control of the Point and maintained control of the county for the rest of the war.
Erected by Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network.
Location. 37° 14.723′ N, 76° 30.264′ W. Marker is in Gloucester Point, Virginia, in Gloucester County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Greate Road (Virginia Route 1208) and Franklin Road. Touch for map. This marker is located in the Gloucester Point Beach parking area under the Coleman Bridge. Marker is in this post office area: Gloucester Point VA 23062, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking Freedom is Won (a few steps from this marker); Harvesting Nature's Bounty (a few steps from this marker); Port of Call (within shouting distance of this marker); To Get to the Other Side (within shouting distance of this marker); Mother Nature Comes Calling (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Virginia Institute of Marine Science (about 300 feet away); Gloucester Point (approx. 0.3 miles away); Still Defending Virginia’s Shores (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gloucester Point.
More about this marker. The background is a print entitled "The Siege of Yorktown, April 1862." On the right is a photo of a "Gloucester Point Water Battery-1862."
Categories. • War, US Civil • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 25, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 983 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 25, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.