Near West Augusta in Augusta County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Highland County / Augusta County
Area 422 Square Miles / Area 1006 Square Miles
Augusta County. Formed in 1738 from Orange and named for Augusta, Princess of Wales and mother of George III. Originally it included a large part of the middle west. President Woodrow Wilson was born in Staunton.
Erected 1929 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number Z-110.)
Location. 38° 18.683′ N, 79° 23.064′ W. Marker is near West Augusta, Virginia, in Augusta County. Marker is on U.S. 250, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at the overlook at top of the gap through the George Washington National Forest. Marker is in this post office area: West Augusta VA 24485, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 13 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. “The Shenandoah Mountain Pass is grand indeed…” (a few steps from this marker); Confederate Breastworks Interpretive Trail (a few Fort Edward Johnson (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to Fort Edward Johnson (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort Edward Johnson (within shouting distance of this marker); “It was cold business” (within shouting distance of this marker); “Wee are faring badly…” (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Healing the Wounds (about 600 feet away); “... tolerable well fortified” (about 700 feet away); “We had a hardscrabble up…” (approx. 0.2 miles away); “Wee are now looking out for a fight…” (approx. 0.2 miles away); “… to go wee did not know where” (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mountain House (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map
Categories. • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 6, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 599 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 6, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.