Near Vinton in Gallia County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Lambert Land Settlement
In November 1843 former slave Frank Lambert, along with 29 other former slaves, purchased 265.5 acres of land in Morgan Township. These African American settlers had once belonged to Charles Lambert Jr. of Bedford County, Virginia, but had been freed upon his death in 1839. His last will and testament also stipulated that the freed slaves be given horses, oxen, wagons, clothing, and financial support to help them relocate to a state chosen upon advice of the will's executors. They chose Ohio and specifically Gallia County. Shortly after the former slaves established their settlement in Section 32, they began using their authentic surnames, which included the Burks, Jones, Leftwiches, Millers, Randolphs, Reeds, Sales, Minnis, and Wingfields. By 1845 several of this group helped to establish the Morgan Bethel Church where a memorial was dedicated in 2002.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
Many descendants of these former slave families lived on the Lambert Land Settlement for several generations, but most had moved by 1960 causing a real estate tax delinquency. In 1969, the county sold the property, ending the Lambert Land story.
Erected 2004 by Lambert Land Preservation Committee, Gallia County Historical Society,
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. Marker has been reported damaged. 38° 58.038′ N, 82° 18.214′ W. Marker is near Vinton, Ohio, in Gallia County. Marker is at the intersection of Ohio Route 160 and Thompson Road (County Route 123), on the left when traveling south on State Route 160. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Vinton OH 45686, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Morgan's Raid (approx. 2.1 miles away); Bidwell (approx. 3.3 miles away); Ewington Academy (approx. 4 miles away); New Hope Baptist Church (approx. 5.2 miles away); The Village of Adamsville (approx. 6.8 miles away); The Homestead (approx. 6.8 miles away); Robert L. “Bob” Evans (approx. 6.8 miles away); University of Rio Grande (approx. 7.2 miles away).
Also see . . . The Lambert Land Settlement. (Submitted on May 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • African Americans • Antebellum South, US • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,531 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.