Geneva in Sabine County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
County Line Baptist Church and Cemetery
Led by the Rev. M. McBerry, the congregation built its first sanctuary in 1868. Worshipers came from a large surrounding area to attend services in the small frame building, which also served as a community schoolhouse. The church's name originated from its location near the Sabine-San Augustine County line.
In 1885 the members voted to relocate the church to the nearby Hankla community, next to the County Line Cemetery (about 2/10 mi. N). The oldest documented grave in the cemetery dates to 1902, although local oral tradition suggests burials occurred much earlier. Many early graves are unmarked.
In 1944 the congregation voted to move once again to this location. Since that time additional facilities have been built to serve the growing congregation. County Line Baptist Church continues to serve members from a large area in both San Augustine and Sabine counties.
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11030.)
Location. 31° 28.872′ N, 93° 57.024′ W. Marker is in Geneva Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milam TX 75959, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. McMahan's Chapel (approx. 1.4 miles away); a different marker also named McMahan's Chapel (approx. 2 miles away); Thompson Family (approx. 4.1 miles away); C.A. Nethery & Sons General Merchandise (approx. 6.9 miles away); Milam (approx. 6.9 miles away); Kings Highway (approx. 6.9 miles away); a different marker also named Milam (approx. 6.9 miles away); The Old San Antonio Road (approx. 6.9 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 19, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 760 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 19, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.