Champaign in Champaign County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The First Congregational Church
Champaign Historic Site
The congregation and its minister were strongly opposed to American slavery, and worked openly and earnestly to eliminate it during the ante-bellum period. They accepted with pleasure being hailed as the “Abolitionist” Church. Among many notable anti-slavery orators who spoke within the walls of the Goose Pond Church were Abraham Lincoln and Owen Lovejoy, brother of the martyred journalist Elijah P. Lovejoy.
Dramatic testimony of Goose Pond Congregation’s openness to those who were dedicated to the eradication of slavery came when a community-wide memorial service was held at the church on December 11, 1859, in honor of the hanged abolitionist and insurrectionist John Brown, of the Harper’s Ferry incident.
The growth of the congregation prompted a move to a larger sanctuary in 1866. The Goose Pond Church was sold to the Baptists, who later sold it to the German Catholics. The building was moved from this
Location. 40° 7.033′ N, 88° 14.332′ W. Marker is in Champaign, Illinois, in Champaign County. Marker is at the intersection of 1st Street and East Park Street, on the left when traveling north on 1st Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Champaign IL 61820, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Champaign's Lincoln (here, next to this marker); Anthropology and Society (approx. one mile away); Illini Supersweet Corn (approx. one mile away); Lincoln & Photography (approx. 1.6 miles away); Urbana's Lincoln (approx. 1.7 miles away); Abraham Lincoln - Eighth Judicial District (approx. 1.8 miles away); Lincoln's Mahomet / Mahomet's Lincoln (approx. 9.1 miles away); Lincoln in Tolono (approx. 9.3 miles away).
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR • Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings • Notable Events • Notable Persons • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 24, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,119 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 24, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.