Bowdon in Carroll County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Last Land in Georgia Ceded by the Creeks
When Carroll County was surveyed in 1827, it was discovered that all of some districts and parts of others were actually still in Creek Territory and still beyond the limits of the Treaties of Jan. 24 and March 31, 1826. An additional treaty, signed at the Creek Agency Nov. 15, 1827, ceded all remaining Creek lands lying in the chartered limits of the State of Georgia ~ Tract 141.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 022-2.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 32.279′ N, 85° 15.114′ W. Marker is in Bowdon, Georgia, in Carroll County. Marker is on City Hall Avenue 0 miles east of Wood Alley, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. The marker stands in front of the Bowdon City Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 136 City Hall Avenue, Bowdon GA 30108, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Whatley Memorial Historic Park (approx. half a mile away); Site of Bowdon College (approx. half a mile away); First "REA" Substation in Carroll County (approx. 8˝ miles away); Carrollton (approx. 10.6 miles away); Six Industrial Giants (was approx. 10.7 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Dixie Street (approx. 10.7 miles away); Charles Carroll of Carrollton (approx. 10.7 miles away); Hernando de Soto in Alabama (approx. 11.4 miles away in Alabama).
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 31, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 974 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 31, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.