Simpsonville in Greenville County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Simpsonville Baptist Church
Church Organized 1888
Entered in National Historic Register
October 13, 1992
Location. 34° 44.367′ N, 82° 15.167′ W. Marker is in Simpsonville, South Carolina, in Greenville County. Marker is on Church Street (County Route 220) south of County Route 219, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 106 Church Street, Simpsonville SC 29681, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Holy Cross Episcopal Church Labyrinth (approx. 0.2 miles away); Simpsonville (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lawrence Lafayette Richardson, M.D. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hendricks' Plaza (approx. 0.2 miles away); Simpsonville Clock Tower (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Stage Road / Railroads in Simpsonville (approx. ¼ mile away); Simpsonville Cotton Mill / Woodside Mill (approx. 0.4 miles away); Simpsonville Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); The Old Arbor (approx. 2.9 miles away); The Old Oak Tree (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Simpsonville.
Also see . . .
1. Simpsonville Baptist Church (Submitted on June 7, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. First Baptist Church of Simpsonville. Official website of the First Baptist Church of Simpsonville. (Submitted on June 17, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Simpsonville Baptist Church
The Simpsonville Baptist Church, also known as the First Baptist Church of Simpsonville, is a less than one acre site located at 106 Church Street, in Simpsonville, Greenville County, South Carolina. Built in 1913, the Simpsonville Baptist Church is a two-story, five-bay, hip-roofed, Flemish-bong brick structure set on a brick foundation with an ashlar watertable. It is a Romanesque Revival building with twin towers on the west facade that exhibit a Moorish influence in the stepped, convex-shaped, sheet metal-covered hip roof atop each tower. All other roof areas of the church are covered with asphalt shingles. The original church building consists of a sanctuary and
Additional Descriptive Information
The Simpsonville Baptist Church is situated on a level lot on a small knoll and faces west onto Church Street. The ground plan of the church building is basically rectangular, measuring one-hundred-and-ten feet by seventy feet, with numerous projections and insets contain round-headed stained glass windows of various sizes, each having a rubbed brick arch with an ashlar keystone and an ashlar sill. The exceptions are the rubbed brick surrounds of the two large stained glass windows, the rubbed brick surrounds of the entrance door in each tower, and the plain entrances
The Church Street facade features a three-story tower on the south corner which still serves as the bell tower, a two-story tower on the north corner which adds symmetry to the facade, and a two-story, parapet-walled, gable-roofed, projecting pavilion centered between the towers. The central projecting pavilion houses one of the large two large, leaded, stained glass windows, this one depicting the biblical scene of "Our Savior Knocking on the Door." This window is highlighted by a full surround of rubbed brick with an ashlar keystone in the Tudor arch and an ashlar sill. The gable roof of the projection is covered with asphalt shingles and has low parapet walls. This central projection is flanked by two symmetrically placed, round-headed stained glass windows that have an ashlar keystone in the rubbed brick arch and an ashlar sill.
The twin towers of the west facade are identical except that the tower on the south corner is a full-story higher than the tower on the north corner. The only other difference between the towers is that the top-story of the south tower has full-length wood louvers on all four sides, and the top-story of the north tower has half-round, stained glass windows on three of the four tides. The window openings of the top-story of both towers have rubbed
All of the woodwork throughout the interior of the church building is stained a dark brown color, which contrasts with the off-white color of the walls and ceilings. The trim of the exterior doors is shouldered at the top corners, then returns horizontally to form a slightly triangular head casing.
The church building has been freestanding from any of the other, newer buildings on the site. A new, larger sanctuary has already been built south of the historic church building, but the congregation plans to preserve the old sanctuary
The Simpsonville Baptist Church, constructed in 1913-1914 on Church Street in Simpsonville, South Carolina, a Greenville County textile mill town, is significant as an excellent example of early twentieth century church architecture, and of the stylistic interpretations of Luther D. Proffitt, architect of Spartanburg, South Carolina. Designed chiefly in the Romanesque Revival style, the church also contains elements of both Moorish and Gothic Revival architecture, all of which were period revivals in popular usage from 1900-1940, especially in religious buildings. This church's eligibility for the National Register rests with its architectural significance, and qualifies under Criteria Consideration A.
The Simpsonville Baptist Church had its beginnings with a Sunday School class organized by B.M. Moore in a small frame school building on April 1, 1887, but was incorporated as a church on November 11, 1888, with twenty-four members. Prior to the construction of the 1913-1914 church building, the congregation worshiped in a ca. 1890 frame building located immediately south of the present church building on the same lot of land. Plans were made for the erection of a new building for the Simpsonville Baptist Church during the pastorate of the Rev. E.C. Watson (1912-1916). A building
On March 5, 1922, the church changed its name officially to the First Baptist Church of Simpsonville, and has continued since under that name. By 1929, after a number of years with a leaking roof and a significant amount of damage incurred on the interior, the church realized that costly repairs were necessary. During the summer of 1930, these repairs were made, but at an unexpectedly high cost of approximately $5,000.
Apart from the significance of the architect's employment of an unusual combination of elements from Romanesque Revival, Gothic Revival and Moorish architectural styles in thus church, its most celebrated
— Submitted June 14, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
2. National Register of Historic Places
Simpsonville Baptist Church (added 1992 - Building - #92001309)
• Also known as First Baptist Church of Simpsonville
• Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering
• Architect, builder, or engineer: Gibson, E.J., Proffit, Luther D.
• Architectural Style: Romanesque
• Area of Significance: Architecture
• Period of Significance: 1900-1924
— Submitted June 15, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 7, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,001 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on June 7, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.