Odem in San Patricio County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Early Odem Area Schools
The Meansville school (3 mi. SE) opened about 1860 and continued in operation in a combination school/church/lodge hall building until 1881. A school near the Baylor ranch (5 mi.SE), variously called Bonnie View, Valley, or Fair View, operated in the 1880s and 1890s until it was consolidated with the school at Kaleta (7 mi.SE), which was established in the 1880s and also served as a Baptist church. Opened in the 1870s, a one-room school served children in Sharpsburg (9 mi. W), and the citizens of Angelita (4.5 mi. W) established a school in a building shared with a church and community meeting hall in 1904.
The first school in Odem opened in 1911 in a warehouse. Improved county roads brought about a number of school consolidations, and by 1916 the schools at Kaleta, Sharpsburg, and Angelita merged with the Odem school to form Common School District No. 7.
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14759.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Odem TX 78370, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. White Point / Rosita (here, next to this marker); Meansville and Kaleta (within shouting distance of this marker); Courthouses of San Patricio County (approx. 7.3 miles away); Odem Building (approx. 7˝ miles away); Old Cemetery on the Hill (approx. 11 miles away); Taft Agricultural Industrial Complex (approx. 11.4 miles away); Education in San Patricio (approx. 11˝ miles away); Saint Patrick's Catholic Church (approx. 11˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Odem.
Categories. • 20th Century • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 28, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 674 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 28, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.