Eatonton in Putnam County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Branch Bank of the State of Georgia at Eatonton
Lot no. 4, Square D is directly opposite this marker. The Branch Bank at Eatonton purchased the western half of the lot Aug. 28, 1819 and the eastern half Feb. 13, 1823. There is no definite information for any bank building until 1847 when Tunis Tunison and James M. Broadfield erected a two story brick building as a business house and residence for the cashier.
When the bank failed in 1866 the property was turned over to the Bank of the State of Georgia at Savannah. Their assignees sold it to George W. Wardwell Sept. 24, 1869. With little remodeling and few additions the building became the residence of Mr. Wardwell and his family until 1962. The property was then sold for commercial use and the house was demolished.
Location. 33° 19.531′ N, 83° 23.292′ W. Marker is in Eatonton, Georgia, in Putnam County. Marker is at the intersection of West Sumter Street and South Jefferson Street (U.S. 441), on the right when traveling east on West Sumter Street. Touch for map. The marker stands on the southeast corner of the Putnam County Courthouse square. Marker is in this post office area: Eatonton GA 31024, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Putnam County Veterans Monument (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Veterans Flagpole (about 300 feet away); The March to the Sea (about 300 feet away); Putnam County (about 400 feet away); The Stoneman Raid (about 400 feet away); Putnam County Confederate Monument (about 500 feet away); The Bronson House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of John C. Mason's Dwelling House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eatonton.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 3, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 719 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 3, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 3. submitted on August 6, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.