Deadwood in Lawrence County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Franklinís Fine Home
Deadwood's Jewish American History
Between 1883 and 1890, the Franklins purchased four parcels of land in order to build their lovely home with all the modern amenities. In 1891 Harris and Anna Franklin commissioned Simeon D. Eisendrath, a Jewish architect from Chicago, to design their home. While the Queen Anne-style house was being built, a local newspaper reporter wrote, “When completed the residence will equal in point of beauty anything of its kind west of Omaha.” That the home was the focus of considerable attention and admiration is apparent by the many news articles written about the house. The Franklinís house was centrally heated, plumbed with hot and cold running water, and lighted by electricity; servants were summoned by electronic bells, and the owners communicated by telephone—the beau ideal of a modern American house in any urban center.
The Franklins moved into their
Three years after Annaís death, Harris Franklin sold the home for a token $1 to Nathan and Ada. Like his father, Nathan was an important businessman and community leader. In addition to owning the Palace Pharmacy, he was the president of First National Bank.
Nathan and Ada Franklin raised their only child Anna Mildred (b. 1894) in the elegant home at 22 Van Buren Street. Like their parents, the younger Franklins continued to entertain in the home and also made improvements to the interior in 1904.
In 1914 and again in 1916, Nathan Franklin was elected Mayor of Deadwood. At the conclusion of his second term in 1918, Nathan and Ada made plans to move to New York City to be closer to their daughter Mildred and father Harris Franklin. The home passed from the hands of the Franklin family on June 12, 1920 when they sold their fine Deadwood home to William E. and Alice Adams for $8,500.
Erected 2005 by
Location. 44° 22.33′ N, 103° 43.612′ W. Marker is in Deadwood, South Dakota, in Lawrence County. Marker is on Van Buren Street south of Lincoln Street. Touch for map. The historic interpretive marker is located on the grounds of the Adams House. It is in the garden area to the right of the house. Marker is at or near this postal address: 22 Van Buren Street, Deadwood SD 57732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Presidential District (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Presidential District (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Smokestack - Reconstructed (about 500 feet away); Deadwood's First City Park (about 500 feet away); Spanish-American War Veterans Memorial (about 500 feet away); Interurban Trolley (about 600 feet away); Radial Brick Smokestack (about 600 feet away); Burlington Interurban Power Plant (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Deadwood.
Regarding The Franklinís Fine Home. Harris Franklin arrived in America a poor immigrant. Traveling to the American frontier he settled in Deadwood when it was still a wild gold rush town. The frontier
Also see . . .
1. Historic Adams House Overview. (Submitted on February 4, 2010.)
2. Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation. The Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation is a non-profit, volunteer organization. The purpose of the Society is to identify and recognize sites of American Jewish Historical interest. The Society sponsors and promotes programs of local and national historic interest. Cooperating with local Historical Societies, Communities, Churches and Synagogues, the Society encourages dialogue and interactive recognition of the commonality of the American Experience. (Submitted on February 1, 2010, by Jerry Klinger of Derwood, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Jewish American, Adams Museum and House
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 1, 2010, by Jerry Klinger of Derwood, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,215 times since then and 25 times this year. Last updated on August 7, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. Photos: 1. submitted on February 2, 2010, by Jerry Klinger of Derwood, Maryland. 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 1, 2010, by Jerry Klinger of Derwood, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Readable picture of the marker. • Can you help?