Lafayette in Tippecanoe County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Big Four Depot
1902 - Built at Second and South Streets by the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago, & St. Louis Railroad, nicknamed “Big Four” and the lake Erie & Western Railroad; served as a train depot until 1975
1979 - Reopened by City of Lafayette as offices for the Lafayette Railroad Relocation Project
1983 - Given to the City by Norfolk & Western Railway Company
1994 - Moved to current site on Second Street at Main Street and renovated as part of Lafayette Railroad Relocation with the aid of Federal Transportation Enhancement Activity funds granted by the State of Indiana
1995 - Received the first U.S. Federal Highway Administration award for best use of Transportation Enhancement Activity funds in the country
1966 - Completed and celebrated as the focal point of James F. Riehle Plaza, as a public meeting place, and as an inter-model public transportation facility
2003 - Individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places
Location. 40° 25.162′ N, 86° 53.761′ W. Marker is in Lafayette, Indiana, in Tippecanoe County. Marker is at the intersection of North 2nd Street and Main Street, on the left when traveling north on North 2nd Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lafayette IN 47901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Iraq War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Purple Heart Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); John T. Myers (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Purdue Block (about 600 feet away); The Tippecanoe County Courthouse (about 600 feet away); To Commemorate The Wabash and Erie Canal (about 700 feet away); General Lafayette - Fountain (about 800 feet away); 1825 Lafayette 1925 (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lafayette.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 23, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 851 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18. submitted on August 23, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.