Lafayette in Tippecanoe County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
John Purdue Block
Cargo was delivered to the Purdue Block by way of the Wabash and Erie Canal which passed some 100 feet behind this building. The first railroad came through Lafayette in 1851.
John Purdue sold the buildings in the 1850's during the time he was active in the building of Purdue University.
A variety of tenants have made use of the buildings. In 1850, the Northern Indiana Medical College was located here. By 1881, businesses included W. & L.L. Ross Mercantile and Purdue, Brown & Company. In 1885 Augustus Peret opened a buggy carriage and harness manufacturing company.
By 1925 there were six businesses on the block: The Duffy & Means Candy Company; Central Top and Battery Company (manufacturers of soft auto tops); W. W. Steele Wire & Iron Works; Johnson Hardware Company (dealer of farm machinery) and The Glenn Auto Electric Company.
Dennis D. Dunn and Edwin F. Hargitt purchased the building in November 1980 from Glenn Auto and initiated restoration. During the process, on August 7, 1981, a major
Dedicated to saving this valuable community asset, Dunn & Hargitt brought in architect Peter Goelzer of Minneapolis and Kettelhut Construction, Inc. Of Lafayette, to take over and complete the project.
Restoration was completed in the spring of 1883. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wabash & Erie Canal marker series.
Location. 40° 25.065′ N, 86° 53.735′ W. Marker is in Lafayette, Indiana, in Tippecanoe County. Marker is on North 2nd Street south of Columbia Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14 North 2nd Street, Lafayette IN 47901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Earl & Hatcher Block (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Purple Heart Memorial (about 500 feet away); Iraq War Memorial (about 500 feet away); Big Four Depot (about 600 feet away); The Tippecanoe County Courthouse (about 700 feet away); To Commemorate The Wabash and Erie Canal (about 700 feet away); 1825 Lafayette 1925 (about 700 feet away); General Lafayette - Fountain (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lafayette.
Categories. • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 24, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,186 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 24, 2010, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Full view of building. • Can you help?