Madison in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Madison Historic Cemeteries
Twentieth century cemeteries emerged as for-profit ventures. In 1904, Fairview Cemetery (across RR left) opened offering single gravesites as well as family plots and perpetual care service until passing into city hands in 1926. Madison Memorial Cemetery (entrance left), started in 1958 as Morgan Memorial Park, Inc., developed as a lawn cemetery -- popular for uniform flush markers, lack of vegetation, and ease of care. The property became a civic Cemetery in 1979.
Erected 2010 by City of Madison, Madison Bicentennial Commission.
Location. 33° 35.695′ N, 83° 28.335′ W. Marker Touch for map. The marker is located just inside the cemetery entrance gates. Marker is in this post office area: Madison GA 30650, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Early Academies (within shouting distance of this marker); Segregated Burial Grounds (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Early Religious Life (about 600 feet away); Formal Southern Landscapes (about 700 feet away); The Town Spring (about 700 feet away); Confederate Dead (about 800 feet away); Reconstruction Property Rights (about 800 feet away); Antebellum Architecture (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 27, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 720 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 27, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.