Salisbury in Rowan County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Elizabeth Maxwell Steele
to the memory of
1781 - 1911
Erected 1911 by Daughters of the American Revolution – Elizabeth Maxwell Steele Chapter.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 35° 40.115′ N, 80° 28.122′ W. Marker is in Salisbury, North Carolina, in Rowan County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (U.S. 29) and West Council Street, on the left when traveling north on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in the front of the Rowan County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Salisbury NC 28144, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington Southern Tour (a few steps from this marker); Washington’s Tour of the Southern States (a few steps from this marker); St. Luke’s Episcopal Church (a few steps from this marker); Rowan County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Rowan County World War I Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Old English Cemetery (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stoneman’s Raid (about 600 feet away); Salisbury Confederate Memorial (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salisbury.
Regarding Elizabeth Maxwell Steele. She was a Revolutionary War patriot who ran a tavern here in Salisbury.
Her last name is often incorrectly listed as Steel.
Also see . . .
1. Elizabeth Maxwell Steele Chapter - Daughters of the American Revolution website. (Submitted on September 14, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. Nathanael Greene finds fortification at Steele's Tavern. (Submitted on February 1, 2014.)
3. Steel, Elizabeth Maxwell (1733–1790). NCPedia entry by William West. (Submitted on February 1, 2014.)
Categories. • Patriots & Patriotism • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 7, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 14, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,305 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 14, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 4. submitted on February 1, 2014.