Near Hitchcock in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Construction began in November 1940. Before the erection of structures, 17 miles of access roads were built, 29 miles of electrical lines were installed, and a 3.9-mile spur rail track from the main rail line were laid. The site contained a total of 399 structures. Some buildings were constructed at Galveston's Fort Crockett and transported to the site, including a cold storage depot, bakery, laundry, and morgue. The camp contained a medical facility, 161 barracks, and a service club.
By May 1941 the camp accommodated 10,250 people, including officers, enlisted personnel, and civilian staff. Training continued through World War II. The site also housed German prisoners of war. In April 1945, Camp Wallace was transferred to naval supervision, and later served as a distribution center releasing veterans back into civilian life. The site was used by the Red Cross in 1947 following the explosions at Texas City. The camp was declared surplus by the U. S. government in 1947.
Location. 29° 21.476′ N, 95° 2.666′ W. Marker is near Hitchcock, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker can be reached from State Highway 6, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in Jack Brooks Park near the picnic tables. Marker is in this post office area: Hitchcock TX 77563, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. U. S. Naval Air Station (here, next to this marker); City of Hitchcock (approx. 0.8 miles away); Hitchcock Depot (approx. 1½ miles away); Stringfellow Orchards (approx. 1.7 miles away); Original Site of First Baptist Church of Alta Loma (approx. 2.4 miles away); Alta Loma (approx. 2.4 miles away); Galilee Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 3.1 miles away); Settlement Community (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hitchcock.
Categories. • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 19, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,113 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 19, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.