West Point in Troup County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
“Daughters of the Confederacy”
the term "Daughters of the Confederacy"
was used here on April 30, 1886,
by General John B. Gordon,
to introduce Winnie Davis.
The title became the name
present patriotic organization.
Erected 1937 by Georgia Division United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 32° 52.6′ N, 85° 10.9′ W. Marker is in West Point, Georgia, in Troup County. Marker is on West 8th Street 0 miles from 2nd Avenue (U.S. 29), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. The plaque is in front of the Hawkes Children's Library. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 West 8th Street, West Point GA 31833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battle of West Point (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Tyler (approx. 0.4 miles away); More Enduring Than Marble (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Tyler Fort Tyler Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Gen. Robert C. Tyler, C.S.A. (approx. half a mile away); Tenth Street School (approx. 0.7 miles away); Bluffton-Lanett, Alabama (approx. 0.8 miles away in Alabama). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Point.
Also see . . . United Daughters of the Confederacy. (Submitted on October 2, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Categories. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 2, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 970 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 2, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.