Birmingham in Jefferson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Dewberry Drugs and Phenix Insurance Company Buildings
The Phenix Insurance Company building was built somewhat later, about 1884, and was originally the insurance offices of Wilson & Ingram, an antecedent of the W. B. Leedy real estate and insurance business. In the 1890s the building was occupied by the Phenix Insurance Company, which remodeled the façade to the appearance it has maintained to the present time, with its bas relief insignia in the upper face. From 1946 until about 2001, the building was the home of Rex Shoe Repair.
Vacant and deteriorating for some years, these buildings were acquired in 2002 by John Lauriello and Julie Gieger of Southpace Properties, Inc., a company which has been instrumental in the continuing revitalization of downtown Birmingham. They were involved in the early development of the property until the purchase by law partners Jason A. Stuckey and Ike Gulas who paying careful attention to historical detail, redeveloped the
The buildings are contributing properties in the Downtown Birmingham Historic District, added to the National Register of Historic Places in February, 1982. The new owners confirm a commitment to downtown Birmingham by their rehabilitation of these historic structures, and they invite the regard and pleasure of the public passing by.
Location. 33° 30.949′ N, 86° 48.295′ W. Marker is in Birmingham, Alabama, in Jefferson County. Marker is at the intersection of Richard Arrington Jr. Boulevard North and 2nd Avenue North, on the left when traveling north on Richard Arrington Jr. Boulevard North. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Birmingham AL 35203, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Berry Project (within shouting distance of this marker); Concord Center (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Heaviest Corner On Earth (about 600 feet away); Title Building (about 600 feet away); Jefferson County Courthouse Site (about 600 feet away); Morris Avenue Historic District / Elyton Land Company (Successor, Birmingham Realty Co.) The Rainbow Viaduct (approx. 0.2 miles away); S. H. Kress Five-And-Ten Cent Store (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Birmingham.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 9, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,020 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 9, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.