Marydel in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number KC-69.)
Location. 39° 6.76′ N, 75° 44.736′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marydel MD 21649, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sapling from 400 Year Old Oak Tree (a few steps from this marker in Maryland); West Dover Hundred (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas' Chapel (approx. 2.4 miles away); Cow Marsh Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 5.6 miles away); Cheney Clow's Rebellion (approx. 6.1 miles away); Samuel D. Burris (approx. 6.9 miles away); Sudlersville Train Station (approx. 7.9 miles away in Maryland); James Emory Foxx (approx. 7.9 miles away in Maryland). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marydel.
More about this marker. This is a Delaware marker on the Maryland state line. Marydel also has a Maryland mailing address. This marker replaced Marker K-43 (undated) erected by the Delaware Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs with the same title that read “In 1763, Penn and Calvert commissioners erected mile stones along the boundary between Maryland the three lower counties (Delaware), part of the Mason-Dixon survey. Every five miles they erected elaborate crown stones. This stone was displayed in St. Louis in 1904, and later in Baltimore. It was returned to Marydel in 1954 and was reset in 1964.”
Regarding Mason-Dixon Crownstone. The actual Crownstone can be seen from the road left of the marker.
Also see . . .
1. Wiki.Worldflicks.Org. Through Google (Submitted on October 18, 2010, by Joseph Lanata of Marydel, Delaware.)
2. Delaware Archives - MASON-DIXON CROWN STONE. (Submitted on October 18, 2010, by Joseph Lanata of Marydel, Delaware.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Man-Made Features • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Mason-Dixon Crownstone.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 18, 2010, by Joseph Lanata of Marydel, Delaware. This page has been viewed 3,687 times since then and 108 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 18, 2010, by Joseph Lanata of Marydel, Delaware. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.