Carmel in Putnam County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Cobra AH-1G/S/F Helicopter
Weight: 8,404 lbs.
Payload: 2500 lbs.
Range: 359 miles
Cruise Speed: 138mph
• Cobra 318 arrived in Vietnam in the beginning of Feb. 1968
• Feb. 12th, 1968 Cobra 318 was damaged in a mortar attack and sent back to the states for repairs.
• May 1969 repairs were completed and she was returned to Vietnam.
• August 24th 1969 Cobra 318 sustained "Extensive Combat Damage"
• In Early September repairs were completed in Vietnam and Cobra 318 was reassigned to another combat unit.
• On September 11th Cobra 318 was hit from ground fire.
• On October 19, 1969 Cobra 318 was forced to land from ground fire damage.
• In November 1969 Cobra 318 was returned to the states for repairs.
• In January 1972 repairs and upgrade of Cobra 318 were completed and she was assigned to Fort Hood Texas.
• From May 1979 to December 1980 Cobra 318 was at the Bell Helicopter factory being modified to an "S" Model Cobra, Tank Killer.
• July 1981 Cobra
• August 1981 Cobra 318 was assigned to Fort Rucker, Alabama and went into service teaching Army Aviators how to fly Cobras.
• In 1994 Cobra 318 was assigned to the Arizona National Guard in Marana, Arizona.
• In May 2001 Cobra 318 was "Moth-Balled" at Fort Drum, New York where she was put up for adoption.
• On October 21, 2002 Cobra 318 arrived here at the Putnam County Veterans Memorial Park.
Location. 41° 26.574′ N, 73° 42.505′ W. Marker is in Carmel, New York, in Putnam County. Marker can be reached from Gipsy Trail Road (New York State Route 41) one mile north of Carmel-Kent Cliffs Road (New York State Route 47), on the left when traveling north. Located in Putnam County Veterans Memorial Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 Gipsy Trail Road, Carmel NY 10512, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Putnam County Veterans Monument (a few steps from this marker); M-60A3 Main Battle Tank (a few steps from this marker); Putnam County's First Park (within shouting distance of this marker); In Honor of All Native American Veterans Philips Smith Farm (approx. 0.7 miles away); Carver Bridge (approx. 1.3 miles away); Old Baptist (approx. 1.8 miles away); Elisha Cole (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carmel.
Categories. • Military •
More. Search the internet for Cobra AH-1G/S/F Helicopter.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 1, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 857 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 1, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.