St. Joseph in Pasco County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. Joseph Community
The St. Joseph community was founded by German Catholic immigrants who migrated to Florida from Minnesota. In March 1883, Andrew Barthle visited the area and in June 1883 his older brother, Bernard A. Barthle, established the first permanent home. Andrew settled across from Bernard in 1885. Known first as the “Barthle Settlement,” it was soon renamed the "St. Joseph Settlement” after the town in Minnesota from which they had emigrated.
By 1888, Charles Barthle, Andrew’s younger brother, and a number of other families including the Blommels, Boettingers, Buttweilers, Fritzlers, Gerners, Nathes and Zierdens, had also joined the community. In July 1888, these pioneer families acquired five (5) acres of land from the Plant Investment Company, upon which they erected a small frame building, called Jubilee Chapel, to serve as a school and chapel. On October 1, 1888, Father Gerald Pilz, the Benedictine pastor of the parish in San Antonio, dedicated the building and celebrated the first Mass, naming the parish for the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
On the same day, the school opened with the installation of its first teacher, Bernard A. Barthle. In September 1889, the Benedictine Sister of Holy Name Convent began teaching at St.
Because of a devastating freeze around the turn of the century, the pioneer families, who were farmers, could no longer support the school. They then asked the county to assume financial responsibility for it. Except for the years 1918-1921, the Benedictine sisters continued as the school’s teachers until it closed in 1981.
In 1918, the county purchased an acre of land next to the church property where it erected a one-room frame building to serve as the school. A second room was added in 1924. After St. Joseph Public School closed, the parish bought the building and property for the Sacred Heart Daycare.
The original Sacred Heart Church was replaced in 1978, constructed as in pioneer years, by the St. Joseph community. In 1889 Sacred Heart Cemetery was established on land donated by August Gerner.
The St. Joseph Post Office (1893-1918) transferred to Dade City in 1918.
Erected by Pasco County Historical Preservation Committee and the Pasco County Board of County Commissioners.
Location. 28° 22.57′ N, 82° 17.019′ W. Marker is in St. Joseph, Florida, in Pasco County. Marker is on St. Joe Road (County Road 578) east of Lake Lola Road/Scharbar Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 32145 St. Joe Road, Dade City FL 33523, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. City of San Antonio, Florida (approx. 2.9 miles away); St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); St. Anthony School (approx. 3 miles away); Lake Jovita Club (approx. 3 miles away); Lake Jovita (approx. 3.1 miles away); Blanton Methodist Church (approx. 3.3 miles away); Townsend House Church & Cemetery (approx. 4.1 miles away); The Bradley Massacre (approx. 4.7 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 8, 2010, by Fr. Len Plazewski of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,031 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 8, 2010, by Fr. Len Plazewski of Tampa, Florida. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of Sacred Heart Cemetery if still exists. • Can you help?