Milton in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
On November 12, 1817, the trustees of the Milton Academy purchased land on the west side of the church lot on which to build a school. For many years the Academy enjoyed a distinguished reputation for scholastic excellence. It was closed circa 1880. In 1894 the Academy lot was conveyed to the Public School Commissioners of Milton. A two-story frame building was then constructed on the site. Miltonís first “high school” remained in used until 1933, when it was replaced by a new facility at another location.
Following the construction of the church a cemetery was established on the grounds. For many years it served as the chief burial place for the residents of the community. Growing concern about the maintenance of the property resulted in the formation of the Milton Cemetery Improvement Company
Erected 1998 by The Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-127.)
Location. 38° 46.557′ N, 75° 18.592′ W. Marker is in Milton, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Chestnut Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located between Coulter Street and Mill Street. Marker is in this post office area: Milton DE 19968, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Governor Joseph Maull Carey (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. John The Baptist Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away); Milton Fire Department, Inc. (about 500 feet away); Governor James Ponder (about 500 feet away); Golden Rule Lodge #17, I.O.O.F. (about 600 feet away); Goshen United Methodist Church (about 800 feet away); Milton Public Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Governor Samuel Paynter (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milton.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 25, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 590 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 25, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.