Following Willey’s death in 1812 the mill was sold to James Owens, and then to Isaac Riggs. From 1821 until 1874 it was owned by members of the Johnson family, and while the property passed through the hands of several subsequent owners, it was known as “Johnson’s Mill” until it was purchased by miller Ainsworth Abbott in 1919. The core of the present mill building is believed to have been constructed on the foundation of the original structure during the latter portion of the 19th century.
The mill was operated by Mr. Abbott until shortly before the State of Delaware began the acquisition of the property in 1963. Abbott’s Mill was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. Adjoining property was added to the Register in 1979. The site is now a part of the Delaware Nature Society’s
Location. 38° 53.163′ N, 75° 28.577′ W. Marker is in Milford, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Abbott's Pond Road 0.1 miles east of Lindale Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milford DE 19963, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Griffith's Chapel (approx. 1.8 miles away); Milford (approx. 2.2 miles away); a different marker also named Milford (approx. 2.9 miles away); Parson Thorne Mansion (approx. 2.9 miles away); Mispillion River Greenway Historical Sites (approx. 3 miles away); Vale-Williams Memorial City Hall (approx. 3.1 miles away); a different marker also named Milford (approx. 3.1 miles away); Major General Alfred T.A. Torbert (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milford.
Categories. • Education • Environment • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 2, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,090 times since then and 131 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 2, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.