Athens in Clarke County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Dr. Moses Waddel
Noted Educator and Presbyterian Minister
Establishing his most famous academy at Willington, S.C., in 1804, Waddel continued his work there until 1819 when he became President of Franklin College, now the University of Ga. One of the most prominent ante-bellum leaders of that institution, he served until 1829. Unwilling to divorce education from religion, Waddel stimulated the religious life of the campus. In 1820 he organized and was pastor of the First Presbyterian congregation in Athens, which became the First Presbyterian Church. The present church building was erected in 1855. Waddel died in 1840 at his sonís home in Athens. His pupils during a lifetime of teaching included John C. Calhoun, William H. Crawford, George R. Gilmer, Augustus B. Longstreet, and George McDuffie.
Erected 1963 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 029-11.)
Marker series. Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 57.61′ N, 83° 22.595′ W. Marker is in Athens, Georgia, in Clarke County. Marker is on East Hancock Street 0 miles west of College Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. The marker stands adjoining the First Presbyterian Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 185 East Hancock Street, Athens GA 30601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Athens Double-Barrelled Cannon (within shouting distance of this marker); First Flight in Georgia (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Louis H. Persley (about 800 feet away); Clarke County (about 800 feet away); Olympic Games in Athens (approx. 0.2 miles away); University of Georgia (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Stoneman Raid (approx. 0.2 miles away); Holmes/Hunter Academic Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 386 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 10, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.