Normal in Madison County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Councill Training School
(1919 - 1970)
In 1919, the first building was erected nearby with funds provided locally and supplemented with a Julius Rosenwald Foundation grant. Named for William H. Councill, Alabama A&M University founder, the three-room structure was built for black students in grades 1-6. Traditionally county black students were taught in churches and lodge halls. Many would continue their education at the University's Laboratory School. The second school was erected on this site in 1948. This structure accommodated 600 students, grades 1-12. The first class graduated in 1949. The principals were: Dr. Charles Orr (1948-53), Mr. J.H. Richards (1953-59), and Mr. A.G. Adams (1959-70).
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
In 1952, the school was accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Enrollment increased from 600 to 950; faculty from 22 to 32. Additional classrooms were constructed in 1958 and 1962. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 impacted the future of the school. As black students attended neighborhood schools due to integration, enrollment declined. In 1968, the school became a senior high school, limited to grades 10-12. The school closed in 1970 as full integration took effect. The land and property reverted to Alabama A&M University in 1971 to accommodate University
Erected 2001 by Alabama Historical Association.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Rosenwald Schools marker series.
Location. 34° 46.96′ N, 86° 34.344′ W. Marker is in Normal, Alabama, in Madison County. Marker is on Meridian Street ¼ mile north of Chase Road NE, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the Old Councill Training School building, a portion or all of which is now occupied by the Alabama A&M University ROTC program. Marker is in this post office area: Normal AL 35762, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. William Hooper Councill (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Alabama A&M University former names / Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University (approx. ¼ mile away); Harris Hill Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away); Lincoln School and Village (approx. 2.7 miles away); Five Points Historic District (approx. 3 miles away); Site of Green Academy (approx. 3.3 miles away); Twickenham Historic District (approx. 3.3 miles away); Maple Hill Cemetery (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Normal.
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 17, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 980 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 17, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.