Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Anderson in Madison County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Anderson Street Railway

Chartered August 19, 1887

 
 
The Anderson Street Railway Marker image. Click for full size.
By M. Bowyer, March 6, 2011
1. The Anderson Street Railway Marker
Inscription. At this site Anderson's original street railway line extended northward to the PanHandle Railroad depot located at Main and Fifth Streets. Two mule-drawn street cars, each seating twenty persons; first operated over the 3-mile route on the evening of September 6, 1888. Animal power continued in use until March 12, 1892, when Anderson became the first city in the Indiana Gas Belt to operate electric cars on the street railway.
 
Location. 40° 6.081′ N, 85° 40.697′ W. Marker is in Anderson, Indiana, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of East Dillon Street and Main Street, on the right when traveling east on East Dillon Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 29 East Dillon Street, Anderson IN 46016, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The First Methodist Church in Anderson Was Built Here (approx. 0.3 miles away); Public Square (approx. 0.4 miles away); Madison County Veterans' Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Historic West Eighth Street (approx. half a mile away); Madison County Historic Home (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Great Mound
Railway image. Click for full size.
By M. Bowyer, March 6, 2011
2. Railway
(approx. 3.1 miles away); The Bronnenberg House (approx. 3.1 miles away); The Bronnenberg Family (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anderson.
 
Also see . . .  Anderson Big Four Depot. Railroads of Madison County (Submitted on March 7, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Railroads & Streetcars
 
Windows image. Click for full size.
By M. Bowyer, March 6, 2011
3. Windows
The "Big Four" Depot image. Click for full size.
By M. Bowyer, March 6, 2011
4. The "Big Four" Depot
This renovated railroad depot is now the Big Four Arts Depot, home to the Anderson Young Ballet Theater.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 6, 2011, by M. Bowyer of Indianapolis, Indiana. This page has been viewed 679 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 6, 2011, by M. Bowyer of Indianapolis, Indiana. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement