Near Dublin in Pulaski County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
This tablet commemorates the first white settlement west of New River, made in 1745 near here by "Dunkers". In 1756 they built a fort for protection against Indians. In 1771 Col. William Christian built a home on this site. The stones in this monument are from the chimneys of that home. This marker erected 1937 by Count Pulaski Chapter D.A.R. Pulaski, VA.
Erected 1937 by Count Pulaski Chapter D.A.R. Pulaski, VA.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 37° 3.429′ N, 80° 37.259′ W. Marker was near Dublin, Virginia, in Pulaski County. Marker could be reached from Ben H Bolen Drive 0.1 miles east of State Park Road (Virginia Route 660). Touch for map. This marker is located in Claytor Lake State Park. Marker was at or near this postal address: 6620 Ben H Bolen Drive, Dublin VA 24084, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Christian-Cloyd Chimney (a few steps from this marker); Colonel William Christian (a few steps from this marker); Water Works — 1870 First Court House (approx. 4 miles away); Lovely Mount Tavern (approx. 5.6 miles away); New River Bridge (approx. 5.8 miles away); Connelly's Run (approx. 6 miles away); Wildwood Pool (approx. 6.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dublin.
Regarding "Dunkard's Bottom". "...Thomas Cloyd settled Dunkard’s Bottom, an area of about 7000 acres along the New River, well south of
Cloyd’s Mountain. The name Dunkard’s Bottom derived from earlier settlement of Dunkers, a German religious sect. Dunkers settled in several regions of southwestern Virginia during the eighteenth century. According to family history, Thomas Cloyd lived in one of the earlier German settlement houses until his large 2-story, 3-bay brick Greek Revival house was finished in the 1847, appropriately named “Dunkard’s Bottom”. When Haven Boyd Howe and Catherine McGavock Cloyd were married in 1873, she received a dower interest from David Cloyd’s estate (her grandfather). The area that became Howe’s Crescent Falls Stock Farm comprised of approximately 2000 acres of the significant Cloyd
Also see . . .
1. Claytor Lake State Park. Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation (Submitted on April 5, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. Haven B. Howe House (pdf file). National Register of Historic Places (Submitted on April 5, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 12, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 5, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,572 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 5, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.