Blacksburg in Montgomery County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Carol Montgomery Newman
Dean, Academic Department 1915-1920
Chairman, English Department 1916-1941
Known as VPIís godfather of extracurricular activities, Carol Montgomery Newman headed the English and Language Departments, taught English and Rhetoric, was Secretary of the Athletic Council, chaired VPIís Social Committee and the YMCA Advisory Board, was Dean of the Academic Department, and served on the Library Committee. A popular teacher, accomplished writer, and eloquent speaker, he considered books an invaluable element of living.
Newman Library, main section, completed in 1955
Marker donated by Class of 1953
Erected by VPI Class of 1953.
Location. 37° 13.705′ N, 80° 25.163′ W. Marker is in Blacksburg, Virginia, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Kent Street and College Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Kent Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Blacksburg VA 24060, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Virginia Tech War Memorial Chapel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Paul Ernest Torgersen (about 400 feet away); John Houston Squires William MacFarland Patton (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Addison Caldwell (approx. 0.2 miles away); Roy Jay Holden (approx. 0.2 miles away); John McLaren McBryde (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Frank Henderson (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blacksburg.
Also see . . . Carol M. Newman Library. Virginia Tech (Submitted on April 5, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 5, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 398 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 5, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. 3. submitted on April 6, 2013, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.